February 11, 2010

Arianna's Birth Story

The Birth Story
Monday night at about 9:30 pm I started getting contractions 10 minutes apart. Here we go again I thought, since that's what time Hailey's started, 2 days before she was born! Well they went on all night long 10-15 minutes apart. My mom texted my cell phone at 3 am asking if I was awake. I called her back and told her I was having contractions all night, but they would probably go away in the morning like they did with Hailey. She said she felt like she needed to get in the car and head to Utah, but I assured her it would at least be Wednesday, maybe even Friday. I was hoping for Thursday or Friday since my doctor was out of town until then.
Well the contractions never stopped. Tuesday morning my mom left Las Vegas around 9:30 am and even then I was telling her "No, don't come. It won't be today." She also brought my Grandma and Grandpa Rydalch who were visiting from Rexburg until I had the baby. Around noon I called and told Kevin he better get off of work because the contractions were getting pretty painful and it was hard to take care of Scott and Hailey at the same time. He got home and kept the kids busy and by 3 in the afternoon the contractions were 5-7 minutes apart. I was panicking a bit because Scott and Hailey were sick and I didn't have anyone that could come watch them if we had to go to the hospital-my mom was still 3 hours away! Finally at 6 pm my mom and Grandparents arrived at our house. We basically waved them out the door because at that point my contractions were 4 minutes apart. My Grandma Lill grabbed my belly and said, "Nicole, this isn't a little boy!" EVERYONE on both sides of our family thought this baby was a boy except my sister Brooke and now my Grandma Lill.
So we made it to the hospital and checked in around 6:30 and she was born just 2 hours later! Crazy! When I got to the hospital I was 6 cm and 90 % effaced and the anesthesiologist made me wait to get some fluids before he gave me an epidural. They checked me as soon as he gave it to me and I was already an 8. I met the doctor on call named Tandy Olsen and broke my water. It was seriously a flood. The nurses couldn't believe how much it was and the doctor had to go change because he got soaked! It was so funny! About 30 minutes later I was dilated to a 10 and complete. I was seriously in shock because when they broke my water with Hailey it took 10 1/2 hours for her to get here! So while all of this is happening I found out that my on call doctor is a distant cousin of mine. His Grandpa and my Grandpa (the one that came with my mom) are 1st cousins and live in the same town in Idaho. How crazy is that?!
I pushed through about 5 contractions and mentioned to the doctor that Hailey was facing up instead of down and took an hour of pushing. He checked me and said, "The baby is sunny side up!" I couldn't believe it! He was able to turn her around and after she flipped over she arrived 2 contractions later. It was awesome! The doctor knew we were having a surprise baby and so when she came out he let Kevin call out the shots. We were both soooo surprised to find out it was a baby girl! He asked me if my sister was one to gloat-yes and she has the rights I guess! :) I guessed that she was 7 pounds even and that's what she weighed. My mom came in the door right after they were done cleaning her up which was great. She was so surprised too! I wasn't sick at all this pregnancy and with Hailey I threw up several times a day for 4 months. I thought I was carrying like I did with Hailey though and gained the same amount of weight as with Hailey, so I wasn't sure either!
So anyways she arrived and is healthy! We are so blessed to have another healthy baby and so excited to welcome her home!