A couple years ago Kevin told me about this bike trail along the Idaho/Montana border that was suppose to be amazing called the Hiawatha Trail. We've been trying to make it happen but life is busy with four kids, plus it's only open for the summer months. So when we realized we only had one weekend before school started, we decided last minute to just make it happen. Check out the rack Kevin welded up to get 6 bikes on the back of the truck! (He's so talented!)
Our kids were also a little bummed we hadn't been able to do as much camping as we normally do in the summer. So we made that happen too lol! We camped right close to the bottom of the trailhead for 2 nights. It was beautiful. And then of course it rained. I'm telling you it ALWAYS rains when we camp!
It was perfect because we got to the trail at about dinner time on Thursday night, spent the night, got up and rode the trail on Friday morning and were able to come back to the camp for one more night.
Getting ready to go!
This trail I am telling you was the most amazing experience. It's a 15 mile bike trail that use to be the railroad between the historic old town site of Taft Montana and the North Fork of the St. Joe River near Avery Idaho. The very beginning of the trail is the most famous part with the St. Paul Pass/Taft Tunnel which burrows for 1.66 miles under state line. It was nuts. I knew it was going to be dark because bike lights are mandatory, but I had no clue it would be THAT dark. Serious. I was having a bit of a panic attack. But so was Ari so I was forced to be strong for her.

Including that long tunnel there wer 10 tunnels and over 7 high trestles that we got to do. And it's all downhill so the kids had no problem riding. We took our time to really soak in the scenery. It was breathtaking truly. One of the best experiences I've ever had in my life. But then again I love the mountains it's my happy place.
Kevin led the way and I stayed in the back which I loved because I was able to take it all in :)
I love the view of the kids and Kevin. Just feeling extremely blessed when I see this which is why the back is my favorite place to be
Ari was so scared when she saw all the trestles she would have to do. But each one got a little easier with less tears and after this one I made her get out so she could see exactly what she accomplished. It was pretty cool. After that proud moment I think she had a turning point and was able to enjoy the rest of the ride
Absolutely breathtaking
Jay showing off the caterpillar he found. So Jay is 6 and he doesn't love doing physical things. He does love riding his bike and before this trip we did get him and Ari both bigger bikes because they had outgrown their others. But Jay never complained not even once. For 15 miles! So after I was telling him how proud I was of him and how he never even complained he said, "I know!! I just COULDN'T!" I said, "You couldn't?" And he said, "Yeah it was just too much fun!" So stinkin cute! All of the kids had the time of their lives.
Look at this face Jay is making. He was just so in his element it was awesome.
Ari pretty much never left my side so I got a ton of pictures of her. :)
If we ever did the trail again we would probably ride the 15 miles back up the trail to the start. But like I said we really took our time and were just taking in the whole experience. So I think it took us like 4 hours and so we caught the little shuttle bus back to the start. It was awesome. I love this picture because I don't get a lot of pictures with my kids. I love my kids so much. They are my world.
After 2 nights of camping we drove about an hour to Missoula and stayed at a hotel there. All of our tents and sleeping bags and pretty much all our camping gear was soaking wet. So we had to bring everything up to the room and spread it all out to dry. Then we took the kiddos to city their pool. It was a bit chilly but they still had a blast.
What a wonderful trip!