I made 24 jars of raspberry jam and still had enough left over raspberries to freeze for raspberry sorbet for Scott. We LOVE raspberry jam, and 24 jars is usually how much we need to make it through the year. If you ever get the chance to make some, try strawberry-raspberry jam. It really is AMAZING! Too bad strawberries were way over priced this year or I would have done it. I was a little apprehensive to can this year without my canning buddy Mel (she moved to Wisconsin! Boo!), but I decided to try it anyway. Early Alberta Peaches really are the only peaches my family will eat now because we have been way spoiled. My kids will still eat peaches from the store, but not me- has to be Early Alberta! And thanks to eating like 3 a day when I was pregnant with Hailey, she's now the same way!
I bought 3 bushels of peaches and 1 bushel of pears this year and after doing a canner full by myself, Kevin sweetly agreed to help me do the rest. I have a glass cooktop and you can't can on them, so we borrowed a camp stove and it worked out perfect! In fact I don't think I will ever do it any other way again. I just set the stove out on my patio from my kitchen- super easy! On Friday night we went down to my sister Brooke's house to spend the night and watch her soccer game Saturday. I can't believe she's a senior in college already! Crazy!
Scott starts soccer in a few weeks, so he was excited to get a few pointers from the pro! :) (In case you didn't know she has been the team captain of UVU's soccer team her entire 4 years) It was an exceptionally hot day! Here's Hailey holding up the umbrella for shade.
Brooke ended up hurting her calf the last 10 minutes of the game (stupid SUU player!) She's getting it checked out Monday, but she was sent home with crutches and in a lot of pain! Pray it's not a tear! Get better Brooke! We loved getting to see you this weekend, especially the kids!This last picture almost didn't happen, as these moments only last a few minutes and I had to run get the camera. (Side note: Scott isn't in his birthday suit- he has to hang out in his underwear all day long and not wear any clothes!
Also we are so excited because Hailey woke up one day last week talking up a storm! I was wearing a shirt with a softball on it and she pointed to it and said, "Ball" (This coming from a girl who only knows about 3 words other than mom and dad) I was so excited and of course went way overboard with my reaction, and from then on she's been pointing to everything naming it like she knew how to say them all along- too funny! :)
Oh and Scott.... let me just tell you I'm already feeding a teenage boy! We took him off some of his allergy medication in July, and since then this boy has been eating up a storm. Here's one example: for breakfast one day last week he ate 2 adult size bowls of cereal with soy milk, a scrambled egg, a whole banana and a piece of toast with jam. Some days he will eat up to 3 eggs along with cereal and fruit. It doesn't stop at breakfast either. For lunch he will always say, "After I finish my peanut butter sandwich can I have a lunch meat one?" and that is also along with fruit and usually crackers or pretzels. So funny! Most kids his age still only eat a half a sandwich and he's eating 2 whole ones! He was on that medicine for 2 years and one of the side effects was a loss of appetite- I guess he's making up for it all now! :)