August 9, 2009

This week we finished the play area in our backyard. We are hoping to get grass on September 1st, but so far the kids have really been enjoying their new sandbox and mulch play area their dad made them. Kevin has also been building a see-saw to go in there, but it's not quite finished yet. (Oh yeah, and our fence is finally done! Yeah!)

Scott and Hailey love playing with trains.

Usually Hailey doesn't take it quite as serious as Scott, so we have to build her own separate one that she can demolish.

Hailey thinks she can ride anything, it's so funny! One of these days I'm going to get a picture of her favorite ride- a 2 inch motorcycle that goes inside this camper.I LOVE this picture of Scott! Unfortunately about 5 minutes before the picture was taken he was in complete tears. We went to a summer fun in the sun party for Relief Society and they had a bunch of blow up pools and fun stuff for the kids. She warned us that she had wasps in the playhouse, but said that she sprayed them a bunch of times. Most of the kids played in the pools, but Scott and a few others liked the playhouse the best. Plus we have so many wasps around here, they don't really scare Scott at all. Well times may have changed because he came running out of the house screaming and we were all trying to figure out what had happened. He had been stung 3 times on his arm! I asked him if he was bothering the bees and he said, "NO! I was trying to run away from him!" One of the girls there said to put pennies on them because the copper takes away the sting. Scott can now testify that it works- see this smiling face!

Okay so I have felt really guilty that I still hadn't gotten rid of Hailey's pacifier and she's 20 months old, especially because Scott was over his at 6 months. So anyways our pediatrician said when we are ready to tackle the task to find her a toy, special blanket or teddy bear that can replace the pacifiers. Hailey is extremely attached to her 4 pacifiers, so I wasn't really wanting to undertake it just yet. Well we were shopping at the store on Friday night and she spotted this tiger. She was not giving it up and kept bringing it over to me at the checkout (of course they set them right there!) Then I thought to myself, this could be the golden opportunity, so I pulled her aside and explained to her that if I bought her this tiger she was going to give up all of her pacifiers. I held up her pacifier and said that they would be gone forever and all she would say was, "Yup!" "Yup!" So that night she slept with her tiger ("itty") instead of her pacifier and woke up as happy as a clam. Yes, it is really big- but at least she can find it in the night a lot easier than the pacifier!Since then Hailey has forgotten about our little agreement...She keeps pointing at her shelf where we kept the pacifiers and I keep lifting her up to show her that they are no longer there. It's been a little rough, but we are standing our ground! I know it's better to do it now than any later!