September 4, 2017

(Almost) 3 Year Update on Scott

I am absolutely THRILLED that I haven't had to post updates on Scott for a long while. It was kind of by chance that he was able to go almost 12 months between MRI scanning. When I called at the 6 month mark the scheduler told us that our oncologist wrote a note that he could get his scan anytime between 9 and 12 months. Which is funny because when we asked her about 12 months she said absolutely not. But we got away with it. Yay!
Everything on the scan was good news. Tumor is staying stable and not blocking anything important and all the fluid is good and not being blocked. Huge relief!
Scott has been throwing up a lot lately. Anywhere from 2-4 times a month all through the summer. She assured us that it had nothing to do with the tumor. There would be some sort of sign as far as blockage goes or swelling against the cerebellum, headaches before...things like that. So she chalked it up to eating too fast, acid reflux or something else. That was a huge relief. I know the throwing up has been a major concern to Kevin and I over the summer. We will have to still figure that out with his pediatrician, but good to know it's not a side effect of the tumor.
So basically everything is great, Scott is doing great and growing as he should be. His balance is near normal though he still hates running. I think he always will since it always gives him a headache. 
It's an all day event going down to Primary Childrens for the MRI and then meeting with the oncologist. I enjoyed every minute getting to spend with this boy. He is such a great kid and Kevin and I just love him to pieces. We feel so blessed he is doing so great! 
On our way home I told Scott if you think about that a tumor is just made up of cells like the rest of your body, and our one doctor said a tumor cell just doesn't stop growing when it should stop... Well my logical thinking is that the tumor has reached it's full "maturity" and it's just done growing and that's my hope. I asked him what he thought about that and he humbled me (per usual) by his response. He told me we found out about it so he could find answers about headaches and being dizzy, and ever since the surgery everyone's prayers for him is what has kept the tumor the same and not growing. And I know that's true. And I know Scott's prayers especially have been answered because he is full of faith and strength, nothing wavering truly. He amazes and inspires me.
We were so happy leaving the doctors office I thought it would be fun to take a new picture by super man. So here they are side by side from October 2014 and August 2017